This post contains info on events & services this week and some very helpful Lent resources for adults and children! The full March schedule will be posted later this week.
Tuesday, February 28, 5:00-7:30pm
The Pittman Home - 110 Augusta Ct, Greenville, SC 29605
Burning of the Palms - 5pm sharp
This will include a simple explanation of the meaning of this practice and an invitation for adults and children to burn palms from last year's Palm Sunday service.
Pancake Dinner - 5:30pm
The Pittmans will supply pancakes and toppings. Bringing a side, dessert, or drink is welcome but not necessary. No RSVP needed, just show up! Kids, adults, and in-betweens welcome. We definitely encourage you to invite other friends. We will be inviting our neighbors and friends and would love to bring all of our communities together.
Why pancakes? Pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent. Shrove Tuesday is a very diverse tradition, but you can read more about it on Wikipedia.
Wednesday, March 1 -1:00pm & 6:30pm
In the Bethel Sanctuary
"What is Ash Wednesday and How Do I Observe? - an article by Greg Goebel
Lent is a special season, set apart to prepare our hearts for Holy Week - we reckon with our sins, but also the wondrous depth of God's saving love. It's a time to be especially mindful, not miserable - for prayer, fasting, and giving as the Lord leads. Here are some informative and encouraging resources for understanding Lent and for making it truly meaningful for your natural and spiritual family.
- What is Lent about? A Long Obedience in a Lenten Direction - Jack King
- On Keeping A Holy Lent - Craig Higgins
- Feasting In Lent - Greg Goebel
- Lent Disciplines - Prayer - Almsgiving - Fasting - Lee Nelson
For Parents / Kids
- How to Prepare A Family For Lent - Ann Voskamp
- Including Your Children in Lent - Sandra McCracken / Flo Oates / Tish Harrison Warren
Some Family Activities
(Thanks to Ashley Cain for these! Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or additional ideas.)
- Stones of Lent
- Jesus Storybook Plan (pdf)
- Saving Your "Alleluias" - Draw or print out, color/decorate, then roll up and stash until Easter Sunday.
- Take dedicated time throughout Lent to make a family alleluia banner to display on Easter Sunday.
- Pray together for others daily (friends, family members, church friends and leaders, etc)
- Give to the poor or help take care of a neighbor. Take a meal to someone and let your kids be part of the giving. Take time to be generous.